How to delete a Yahoo! account ?

A simple process for deleting your Yahoo! Mail account..

Darryl, one of this blog readers, asked me how to delete a Yahoo account? Well, to make a long story short, the account deletion process isn’t well documented and might be a bit frustrating. Moreover, before you open Yahoo! account deletion page and deleting your account you must be aware of the possible negative effects on your data completeness and integrity and email identity. Therefore, i decided to document the best practices that should be used in order to cancel a Yahoo account, in case any of my readers will need it in the future. Due to the fact this is an important issue, i strongly recommend that you bookmark this page.

So here’s what you need to know before you delete your Yahoo account:

1. Even after you delete your yahoo mail account, people will be able to send you emails for 90 days following the account deletion.
  2. If you delete your Yahoo email account you are actually also deleting your all the data associated with your Yahoo account: emails, address book, group memberships, photos, 360 blogs etc’. You’ll also loose your Yahoo Messenger id and other Yahoo services.
  3. Note that after deleting your Yahoo! account you won’t be able to re-create it.
  4. If you close your account, someone can potentially open a new account with the same name, thus actually taking over your email identity.
  5. If you subscribed to any premium services (business hosting etc’), cancel those first—before you delete your account. Yahoo doesn’t guarantee that deleting your Yahoo account will immediately cancel the billing for any premium services you’re subscribed to. This is a crucial point if you are hosting your website or blog with Yahoo.

If you still want to delete proceed as following:

1. Go over your Yahoo mailbox and search for important emails you would like to keep. Send them to your other email address. Note that you if you are using Yahoo in a web client, you won’t be able to export your mailbox automatically.
  2. Grab your list of active contacts and update them that your yahoo email address won’t be active any more (remember, mails might reach your yahoo account in the following 90 days without you be able to read them.
  3. Export your contacts records to Outlook or Thunderbird.
  4. Navigate to the termination page and click Terminate. An alternative approach which I recommend in case you don’t want to use Yahoo email any more, is to simply stop using it. After 90 days of no activity, Yahoo will automatically close your account.

Filed Under: Web Applications

1. Ed Kohler says:

I think I’d set up an auto-responder for the old account rather than deleting it in order to avoid the identity issues you mention above.

2. [...] How to delete a Yahoo account ? [...]

3. mv3gp says:

this is nice info. I have problem with yahoo billing i have 3 domains with them though i transferout but yahoo billing dept charged my credit card and when i wrote to them they said you have to file the process and call us in business hour. So i place a dispute with my bank and it is headache so please make sure your cancel all the billing it is very important.

4. Gonna delete my Yahoo! Account straight away. I have nothing there except a few newsletters arriving :D

5. Nirmal says:

Even if you are not using Yahoo or any Email account, Why is there the need to delete it? Anyways they are not going to charge for it. I wouldnt delete any of my accounts for this reason.

6. Vijay says:

I second Nirmal.. and also as you said, it is better to stop using it and inform your contacts not to mail you in that address.. Deleting can potentially cause a lot of problems.
    And of course, I can always use the reserve account to register at sites which require compulsory reg. for viewing posts etc.

7. Gili says:

You guys have a point, and that’s exactly what i was recommending in my post. Note however that after an inactivity period, Yahoo closes the account automatically and then someone can take over your mail identity. I believe Ed has a point. An auto-responder + a quick email to your contacts referring them to your other mail id should work better.

8. Shashank says:

@Gili
    Yahoo don’t close any account ..they just inactivate it….if you are opening your yahoo mail account once in a year then also i don’t think they will close your account.. its my personal experience ..

9. [...] How to Delete a Yahoo Account(Gili/AVirtualExit) – Gili helps out in ridding of that Yahoo account that incredibly old Yahoo account you never use anymore. [...]

10. nunipi says:

Thanks for the tips! I have been trying to redirect mail from my Yahoo account for several months, but have yet to figure out how to do it, so am giving up on Yahoo entirely (crap support!) and have just deleted the account using the delete_user page. Good riddance to a waste of time! My gmail account works so much better…

11. Anonymous says:

dnt want it

12. louis says:

Idon’t want the yahoo account any more to use this account and i don’t want to receive the offline messages from other, if any one send the message to this mail id i.e pratima_louis@yahoo.com the message shows to them as this account is not using.

13. Sadegh says:

please Delete my acount…
    I forget My password, Can you Delet it…?

14. subhro bera says:

I want to create a new account as i cant have some of my EMAIL in time

15. venkatesh says:

How to delete a yahoo messenger id? Please help

16. AFZAN says:

i want delete this E-mail ID

17. sohan says:

plz let me know how to delete the damn yahoo account,
    coz i realy dont want to continue due to some personal reason,,
    mail me at plz: sonyonly4u2002@yahoo.com
    thnx

18. denise says:

delete account

19. Richard says:

Hi guys, i need some help here

some days back i deleted one of my yahoo accounts without taking any back up of my address book. I lost all contacts and now am traying to retrieve it but am not finding a way to do so. IF any one have witnessed this kinda of an issue, please do let me know how to resolve it.

20. mer says:

i want delet my account

21. william pekar says:

iamdeleting yahoo.com because every time i come on and put myid in and my password i can not get in my email soiam deleting thank youwilliam pekar

22. lipi says:

I want del may account . beacause it is a old account..and I have a new account……..

23. Cindy Koontz says:

I would like to know how to delete my current yahoo account and open a new one?

24. Phoebe says:

how do fine where to delete it not how u deleted it gosh i’ll just go figure it out cuz he’s no help!!!!!!

25. maryam says:

I forget My password, Can i Delet it?please please help me how???????thanks so much

26. kulya says:

how to delete yahoo account”

27. priyanka says:

i would like to knw how to delete or block my current email account

28. Rakesh says:

is there a way to remove the database entry for a yahoo email account immediately after deleting the account.
    Can you please help me here I want to delete a acount and recreate the same acount with different domain. for example currently i have acount name@yahoo.com but i want to create name@yahoo.co.in acount.

Thanks in advance

29. anjuverma_16 says:

30. Idon’t want the yahoo account any more to use this account and i don’t want to receive the offline messages from other, if any one send the message to this mail id because my account has been used by some one else i..e.., my mail id has been hacked

31. HMISSA says:

welcome
    my e-mail is blocked therfore windows pop-up usafis also blocked
    want cancel and close my account yahoo
    you are able for closing and close table usafis green card

32. Mai says:

Hii I Deleted My Yahoo Account Since Three Or Two Months But My Flickr Account Is Still There But I Cant Enter It Help Plz

33. Billly says:

If i deleted my account..but i wanna remake one with the same name? how can I…it keeps saying the account is taken and i deleted it a day ago

34. please terminate my email and yahoo account

35. Thomas M says:

“Note that after deleting your Yahoo! account you won’t be able to re-create it.”

Even though Yahoo had this information on their website, this is not true. I’ve deleted my account and have recreated it several times. Well, three or four times.

“Navigate to the termination page and click Terminate. An alternative approach which I recommend in case you don’t want to use Yahoo email any more, is to simply stop using it. After 90 days of no activity, Yahoo will automatically close your account. ”

This is not true. I’ve went for periods of nearly a year without using my Yahoo account, a few times. It’s never closed automatically.

36. cassandra ryers says:

please delete the yahoo toolbar

37. Deepa says:

please delete my yahoo ID.

38. raja says:

Please i want delete my yahoo ID

39. Ambrose says:

please i want to delete my yahoo id

40. muna shrestha says:

i want to delete my yahoo id

41. Katherine S. Harris says:

I cannot understand how to delete the Yahoo account, which just appeared suddenly one day. I did not request it and I have never submitted any ID or Password. Please don’t ask me to give information which I don’t have. Just delete the account, please. Thank you in advance for complying with my request. K.S. Harris

42. Katherine S. Harris says:

If someone else, using my computer, has registered for a Yahoo account without my knowledge, could this be the problem?

43. sailaja says:

i want to delete my yahoo id

44. Please eliminate the Yahoo account….it is way too intrusive coming onto my screen all the time when it is unwanted!

45. Poachy says:

juz deleted da hold thing juz want it off cuz got bout 5 of them so please deleted it

46. junaid akbar says:

i want to delete it …………. plz delete that damn

47. love says:

delete yahoo accout

48. darshi says:

please deleted my yahoo id

49. DILINI says:

Please delete my yahoo Id.