Is it possible to modify the Facebook background layout ?

Facebook tweak: How to Modify the background color of your Facebook profile?

While answering a few questions over at Yahoo Answers, I came across a considerable number of Facebook users who are looking for ways to  accomplish one of the coolest Facebook tricks: to modify their profile layout. Unlike MySpace, Facebook doesn’t allow you to insert custom html codes to modify your profile. This is one of the features that makes Facebook so unique. Everyone has the same looking page pretty much which lowers loading times and is much easier to use and navigate.

Nevertheless, if you use Firefox as your web browser (if not i strongly recommend you to download and start using it:) ), you can leverage Greasemonkey and other custom JavaScript Facebook scripts in order to modify the color scheme of your Facebook layout. Greasemonkey  is a Mozilla Firefox addin that lets you modify the way your Firefox pages look and run.

After you install Firefox and Greasemonkey, you can leverage the Facebook Auto Colorizer script, in order to have your profile color scheme changing based on your photo.

Please note that this hack will work only on PCs which have either Firefox, Greasemonkey and the Auto-Colorizer script installed, and won’t work when accessing Facebook through Internet Explorer.

Filed Under: Facebook Tips

1. Reztar says:

question….how to install the script? when i click “install this script” on the site you give, it just open another page with the source code on it.

2. Gili says:

Hi,
    If you have Firefox and Greasemonkey installed, just click the following link.
    If you don’t have Javascript disabled (for example if you run the NoScript addin) it will install the Auto Colorizer Script.
    Then just login to Facebook, you’ll note the difference immediately.
    Hey- make sure you add me to your Facebook :)

3. autospider says:

i am so upseted that failed to register the Facebook account..

4. [...] have addressed this issue in my post on how to modify your Facebook background colors. One of Facebook’s key features is the uniformly clean and non cluttered UI that makes the [...]

5. Cindi says:

Hello. This is Cindi. I was just wondering if you could make a background for your facebook. If not thats fine. I was just wondering. But if so That AWESOME! Let me know. Thanks.

6. Alex says:

Re: Original post.

The fact that you can’t change your background doesn’t stop people that don’t know how to use Facebook adding 100 million apps. and lagging the hell out of their page anyway.. That was the only problem with Myspace, alot of people didn’t know what they were doing, and just saw all this code, and could never work out how to fix it – or never bothered in the first place.. So, it’s the same problem as Myspace.. Worse even, loading 500 apps takes longer then loading a background..

LET ME CUSTOMISE MY BACKGROUND!

7. Mitzi says:

OK i’ve done it all, and my profile appeared to be changed but when my friend opened my profile NOTHING WAS CHANGED! it is the same white background!! do u have any other sugestions???

8. Shayla says:

I want to have a background layout for my facebook page without having to customize it. I don’t have firefox or any updated software. Can I still do this? Thanks

9. Gili says:

Not that i know. Use firefox is simple.

10. whizkid says:

i have a question if u install this is it visible by other users who have firefox or it just for the user who have installed?? thanks

11. I have a question..
    How do you install thid script?

12. zentiljana says:

I want to have face book backgrounds, how can i change that?

13. rufa says:

i’m having a hard time to understand this. i already install those stuff and when it’s done, the background of my facebook was brown is there any colors available? where can i change it?

14. Angy says:

It can’t.- – I HAVE firefox 3 and there aren’t colorizer for 3

15. Maryjoy says:

I can’t see any background!

16. leian says:

where do you actually find layouts for facebook?????

17. Miley Cyrus says:

Hey ya’ll! Look all those bad pics of me are photoshopped ok!
    Don’t believe what u saw!

18. john mervin says:

please give me some facebook backgrounds

19. Bedi says:

This is ok, but what i am after are Facebook backgrounds for my MAC. Any ideas how to get those as well as other graphics for free???

20. shaena says:

i want a great background in facebook.but how can i do it.:(.:P

21. linda says:

hello people wats up i want an awsome background for my facebook

22. michaella says:

i want a great backround in facebook!but how can i do it
    you can learn me about that backround
    What website?