How to hide my Facebook online status?

Simple process for modifying your online status on Facebook.

Question:

Julie asks: How can i hide my online status on Facebook, so friends and network members won’t know if i am online now?

Answer:

Updated answer by Gili –

Lately Facebook has integrated the ability to manage your online status in the newly released chat application.
In order to change your online status, just click the little chat icon in the bottom right corner of your web browser (while signed into Facebook) and pick “Go Online” or “Go Offline” option when prompted.
This setting controls the online status in your previously changeable through Privacy>>Profile.

====================== Outdated Answer ======================

Here’s what you need to do in order to hide the “I am online now.” signal on Facebook:

• Hit Privacy and then Profile
  • In the drop down on the right side of the Online Status select either Only Me or No one.
  • Hit Save
  • From now on, people in your network nor friends won’t be able to notice if you are online on Facebook.

Got more Facebook questions? Send them via my contact form and get them answered!

Filed Under: Facebook Tips

1. Andrew says:

I have been trying to change my status by selecting custom and in turn ‘only me’. When I go to save the changes it just keeps the setting of ‘no one’ insted of the custom setting i tried to apply. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. john says:

Maybe it’s because I have a Mac, but that setting/dropdown “online status” does not exist.

3. Pete says:

Scenario:

My friend Jack logs into Facebook at 2am, and clicks the chat icon to green, “online”

It tells him 3 of his friends are online, but only two names come up.

He knows I’m the only one of his friends who has hidden their online status, and so doesn’t need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out that I’m still awake and therefore can be contacted (usually by telephone, even at that hour)

Solution? I don’t know if there is one, but that is the current state of play with online status.

4. John says:

“No one” is the same as “only me” in this context. If you log on to chat you either want no one to know (ie, only yo will know), everyone or your friends.

5. Tueksta says:

right, there is no “online status” dropdown.

6. Smilingdevil says:

..i don’t see “online status” dropdown (anymore) has it been removed? Pls update.

7. nadine says:

Yes, I believe it’s been removed since I don’t see the dropdown either and remember checking a box to hide my online status. If you try Privacy, Profile and under Contact Info, there might be choices (which I checked) to hide under IM screen name. that MIGHT help… So I’m still looking.

8. Treua says:

Do you know how can i hide the Facebook chat bar at the top of my profile page? Is it even possible?

9. KiwiGirl says:

I’m an Apple User and I just figured out that if I press on the * in the bottom right hand corner of the screen it gave me the option of changing my status to ‘not available to chat’ – whew, I can’t stand chats.
    Do I still show as being online? I still can’t figure this one out, thanks.