Here’s a question from Olivia,
I used to find the Facebook Marketplace app quite useful in the past and even purchase a couple of nice clothes over there. All that said, i am overwhelmed by the amount of messaging about suggested items i receive from the app. Not sure but it looks like the app even posts updates to my news feed. Trying to uninstall the app doesn’t see to work for me. It simply doesn’t go away. Does it have specific settings i should be aware of? I need you guys to help me to disable, or even better, remove Marketplace from my Facebook feed. I would be happy to delete that app from FB on Samsung phone as well as my iPad tablet. Please help me!
(Answer updated October 2018)
What is the Facebook Marketplace?
Before answering, here are a couple of notes about the Facebook Marketplace app:
- Facebook Marketplace allows people to browse listings of things to buy in the area they are located. You can buy pretty much everywhere in Marketplace, but mainly clothes and personal electronics.
- Marketplace is available on Windows and MAC desktops as well as on IOS (iPad and iPhone) and Android devices (Samsung, LG, Huawi, Xiomi and so forth).
- Marketplace is not available everywhere, but mainly in the USA, Latin America and Europe.
Turn off Facebook Marketplace Notifications
As Olivia and many other readers pointed out, FB Marketplace tends to submit significant amount of notifications, which people people are trying to turn off. We got a significant amount of emails and comments from Facebook users asking of advice on how to stop receiving those messages / pop ups and delete Marketplace from their Facebook account completely.
How to stop marketplace notifications?
Here’s a simple process for turning off updates and notifications from the Marketplace app. For convenience, i have detailed the steps to execute on a desktop computer (tried it in both Windows 10 PC and MAC OSx).
Here we go:
- Open your browser and log in to your Facebook account
- Hit the arrow at the right hand side.
- From the drop down menu select Settings
- Now, from the left hand side menu, select Notifications
- In the On Facebook section, hit the Edit button
- Now scroll down to App Request and Activity and then hit Edit
- Select Turn Off from the dropdown at the right hand side of the Market Place app.
- That will stop Facebook notifications from Marketplace.
Turning off buy / sales group notifications
In case you joined specific sales groups in the past, you might still be getting notifications specific to that group. Disabling notifications for sales group is done as following:
- Go to your Facebook Home page.
- Hit Groups
- Locate the specific sales group you have joined
- In the dropdown at the right hand side, hit the small Settings icon
- Then select the Edit Notifications option
- Last, under Notify Me about, select Off
This will turn off notifications from specific sales groups. Admins of sales groups can turn buy and sell features on and off.
Kindly let me know your feedback, and leave us a comment in case of additional questions.